Skinny Jeans with Ripped Denim
Because we love getting thrifty, thrifty, thrifty ;) For this tutorial you do not need any patterning or heavy sewing knowledge. Just a simple calming sew and pulling and you are left with your it jeans. Lets get to it!
Ripped knee denim Jeans
Prep time: 2 mins | Make time: 1 hours 30mins
Total time: 1 hrs 32 mins (approx)
Don't buy new, buy thrifty knew.
- Denim jeans
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Pins & clips
- Polyester thread
- Chalk pencil
- Wear your jeans inside out
- With your clips, clip the top portion of your pants. Then with the pins, pin the jeans near your leg. Take in as much fabric as you will need.*
- Carefully remove the jeans without pinning yourself and retaining the pins in place. Grab your chalk and ruler to draw the line you will sew. Following where your pins are, first draw dashes underneath them. Then remove the pins and outline the dash. So, you are left with a solid line.
- Take the other side of your pants and place it on top of the chalk line. Press down with your ruler to transfer the chalk line. If the line if light, go over the line with your chalk to make it more visible.
- Next sew the pants following the chalk line. Tip: I recommend sewing with the smallest stitch your machine sews in. The reason why is because the tighter the stitch, the longer the seam will last over time.
- Then wear the jeans to see how if you are satisfied with the fit.
- Now while wearing your jeans grab the chalk to draw a rectangle where your knees are located.
- Bring the jeans to your working space. Scrape the area a bit in the center. Then pinch the fabric up in the center, snip open from end to end.
- With your tweezer pull the fabric out. You are grading the horizontal fabric out. This horizontal yarn string is called the weft. The vertical one is the warp. Denim is weaved in the twill weave. Its good to know because this way you know the name of direction of the yarn.
- Lastly, continue pulling with the tweezer until you are satisfied. Then wash and wear in your next gorge look!
- *The clips are useful if the amount you are taking in near your waist is small like .25". If it is more than that, then instead of clipping, use the pins in the top portion as well.